If you’re like most of my consulting clients, you’re a successful high-achiever, or maybe even a wide-achiever like me. A wide-achiever is someone who pursues his/her many passions simultaneously. Unfortunately, you’re also a workaholic. This means that you often struggle to balance your many, sometimes conflicting, commitments.
As a result of this constant demand on your energy and time resources, you often neglect your core energy needs. That is, physical energy helps you to get things done, but clarity of thought, positive emotions, and the meaningful events in your life are also major energy sources.
Does This Sound About Right?
- Your own self-care often gets shoved to the back burner.
- You often sacrifice your health, family time and quality of life to get more done.
- You often feel overwhelmed because there’s more to do than time to do it.
- You’ve come to realize that the way you’re living and working is unsustainable and it’s time for a change.
If any of the above applies to you, you may be on the road to burnout.
Burnout is the unfortunate result of many years of neglecting your self-care and energy needs. This causes the brain to trigger your survival mechanism and narrow your focus to ONLY those things that have to do with your immediate survival. This often leads to anxiety, depression and other adverse health conditions.
I know how you feel!
Twenty years ago I walked away from a well-paying job as an engineer in corporate America because it was sucking the life out of me. I had to be in the office early and stayed very late because that’s what was required of me.
I left because I didn’t like the person I was becoming. I had always been a health conscious individual, but I developed some bad habits – neglecting my exercise, eating out all the time, and allowing work to take over my life.
Now I’m not saying that you have to leave your job in order to prevent burnout and live and energized life. That is not the case. However, in order to energize your life and prevent burnout, you have to be willing to redesign your lifestyle around three things – to live fully, love passionately, and leave a personal legacy.
My Life’s Work and the Purpose of this Blog, Podcast, Books and Speaking Engagements
My purpose for being is simply to live fully, love passionately and to leave a personal legacy by making a difference in the lives of others.
Through this blog, my podcast, books, speaking engagements and private consulting, my mission is to help you design a lifestyle fuel by purpose, passion and play.
I’ll help you to clarify:
- Your BIG WHY. That is, what purpose do you want your life to serve.
- What it is you really want to do with your time on a daily basis.
- How you would like to share your gifts with the world.
- What personal legacy you would like to leave behind.
- How you can learn to become a Player, instead of a worker.
If You Haven’t Already Done So:
- Start with my free ebook, 7 Questions (to ask Yourself) to Help You Fuel Your Life with Purpose, Passion & Play. Click here You will also get notified of my weekly blog posts.
- Subscribe to my podcast, Energize Your Life. Click here
- “Like” my Facebook page (/drdelmillers), follow me on twitter (@drdelmillers) and Instagram (drdelmillers) by clicking the icons on the top right of this page.
Remember, I am available for private & group consulting, as well as corporate seminars and keynotes. Find more on the (work with me) page